Data Engineer (Database Design - Postgres/Teradata/Hana, SQL Performance Tuning)
Profession:Data Engineer (Database Design - Postgres-Teradata-Hana, SQL Performance Tuning)
Bayer is passionate about using science and technology to improve agriculture. Bayer scientists are conducting the research and development to revolutionize plant breeding and biotechnology. The Company 360 Data Asset IT team is seeking talented and motivated individuals to partner with our lines of business in development of software platforms that enable sales and agriculture services to customers. The accepted candidate will join the emerging field of IT systems informatics and leverage their leadership and design skills to play a key role in defining and delivering breakthrough solutions for the next generation platforms within the Bayer global business IT landscape.
The successful candidate will work with the IT Team to develop and maintain data needs across enterprise-level cross-platform (Scala, Java, SAP, Teradata, PostgreSQL/Aurora, RedShift, Hana) applications. The candidate will work in a cross functional team comprised of a business manager/architect, project manager, data stewards, and other members of the technical staff to deliver application features. The candidate will be required to develop SQL, DDL and DML scripts for any of the supported platforms (Teradata, PostgreSQL/Aurora, etc). The candidate will assist in developing and maintaining physical data models, data movement diagrams and data information lifecycle management rules as part of a cohesive data strategy aligned with the business units strategy and architecture. Initiatives will also include helping to improve, implement and cultivate a more formal data practice across the organization.
Work with Data Stewards and Subject Matter Experts to understand the data.
Investigate source systems to locate and understand existing data.
Build database scripts.
Create documents and coordinate script deployment with the internal API Development team, external Data Operations team and Enterprise DBA team.
Ensure that solutions adhere to data architecture standards and strategies, and follow best practices
Ensure legacy data stability while maximizing technology spend on transformational, strategic systems
Develop data migration strategies
Develop impact analysis for database changes including software development change estimates
Understand data issues and help troubleshoot issues.
Think through complex problems and work to solve them by applying cutting edge data engineering practices.
Take pride in software craftsmanship, diving deep into code and constantly innovating.
* 8+ years of experience (minimum)
* BS degree or equivalent experience
* Demonstrated prior experience in developing using SQL, SQL Performance Tuning, relational database design, development and implementation for both row-wise (PostgreSQL, Teradata, Aurora, etc) and columnar data stores (Hana).
* Ability to communicate across diverse audience of business analysts, architects, business users and technical project staff
* Strong organization and interpersonal skills. Ability to deal with and balance multiple priorities. Ability to deal with ambiguity and rapid change. Demonstrated interaction skills across a wide spectrum of technical contacts and teams.
* Passion for the integrity of database design and a willingness to compromise appropriately to balance design and delivery.
* Hands-on role requiring rigorous attention to detail and thorough application of standards.
* Self-starter, capable of driving towards goals independently. Highly self-motivated and delivery focused.
* Have demonstrable understanding and awareness of technology and an ability to learn and acquire new technologies as needed.
* Willingness to do collaborative software development.
* Extreme familiarity and comfort with the Teradata, Redshift, Hana, PostgreSQL (or equivalent)
* Large development project experience.
* Strong database design, development and tuning skills.
* Experience with both real time and batch data delivery architectures.
* Understanding of stream processing using Apache Kafka, enabling data-intensive APIs using a RESTful approach is a plus.
* Ability to work as a member of a diverse team to achieve a common goal.
* Proven to possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Thorough understanding of the software lifecycle and relevant software methodologies used in software development.
* Experience with geospatial and agricultural ecosystems is a plus.
Desired skills/education/experience/attributes (ideal candidate):
Candidates who succeed in this fast paced dynamic environment excel in the following competencies:
* Performance: Takes responsibility for achieving results, overcomes obstacles and adapts approach, bias for action.
* Business Awareness: Displays awareness of the impact of actions on the business, demonstrates understanding of the business context of the company and acts in line with it.
* Communication and Influence: Uses negotiation skills and techniques to obtain agreement between different interests, challenges management constructively, bringing different views into the open.
* Partnership and Teamwork: Actively promotes a positive team spirit, builds networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge.
What are the top 3 must have skills?
* Experience in database development using SQL , performance tuning, database design using SQLPostgres,Teradata, Hana etc
* Strong collaboration and interpersonal skill to work with Data stewards and SME to understand data needs and meet project deliverables.
* Should be self-starter and c